BOOOOOO! Here we go again. What is it about New Years that has me excited, motivated, depressed and grinchy, all at the same time??
I LOVE New Years. I love the thought of the old year, and all its failures, dying in the night. And in its place, a new, shiny, unblemished year with lots of potential.
So why do I get kind of depressed with a new year lurking? I think it is because I am forced to go back through the year and see where I missed the mark and need to improve.(lets face it, I see LOTS of room for improvement). and what do people hate to hear more than anything?? Their failings. Boy, did I ever fail this year in some areas.
But in some areas I actually kicked butt, and have reason to be proud.
So without further ado, my list of what I need to work on in 2012....
1. potty mouth. sigh. STILL. This is a fight that will never go away I am afraid. It is my lifelong struggle.
2. Exercise more. This is one I did decently with last year. I was a little more active than normal, and lost weight. This year I am planning on working a little harder at it, and am planning on joining the gym with girls from work.
3. (or more like 2.1)...Watch what I eat, drink etc and lose more weight. And by watch what I eat I dont mean "watch myself eat *!#% all the time (oops, see #1). Drinking as much water as possible, cutting down on soda consumption (which I actually was really good at in 2011) and eat healthier. Also COOK AT HOME. No more going out to eat all the time.
4. saving money. I realized that if I were to save half of my cash tips, instead of shopping, or going out to eat or frittering it away on useless things, in one year I could have completely new furniture, a king sized sleep number bed, and go on a cruise. Just by saving HALF of my cash tips. What do I have to show for it this year?? hmmmm, not a whole heck of a lot. I also want to work on paying all bills on time. beign really regimented and having zero late payments. There is no excuse, except laziness.
5. More family time. My kids have asked that we spend more time with them. Finn said "Instead of you playing on the computer all the time, maybe we could go for walks or bike rides or play a game". Ouch. ouch. ouch. So less time on the internet/media and more time building memories.
6. Food Storage. This has been on my mind quite a bit recently, and one thing I am working on is building a food storage, in case something happens. I found a program where you buy just a few extra things a week and by the end of the year you have a nice food storage start. So I will be working on building that up and using it properly.
7. Scripture Study and Prayer. This is a biggie. I made myself a goal last year to read the entire Book of Mormon and really think hard and pray about it. I finished it a few days ago. I found that when I read scriptures and pray with my family, our days go smoother and I feel happier. So this year, the goal is the New Testament. Family and personal prayer and scripture study.
8. Work Goals: I love my job, and I love my clients. My goal this year is to have the biggest retail amounts of everyone. I also have a goal of 2 upgrades a month. I did really well with upgrades and retail this past year, but I know that if I push myself I can do better. I also want to be a bigger team player and help anywhere that is needed. I want to be able to make a positive impact on my clients, even the ones that give me a stomachache when I see them on my schedule. I want to be able to understand the difficult ones and have more empathy. I want to take my career to the next level.
9. Personal beauty. I want to make sure that I always present my best face forward. Always have my hair, makeup and clothes on point and professional. I want to make sure that I always look good, no matter my destination. I dont ever want to be embarassed when people ask what I do for a living and I tell them I am a hairdresser, and at that exact moment my hair is a hot mess and looks like I brushed it with a weed whacker. How can I possibly tell people how to improve their image if mine looks like a ratty hobo under a bridge??
10. Tell my family I love them every day. Show more affection. This is hard, I am not a huggy, kissy, lovey dovey public display of affection person. I am going to work harder to outwardly display my love and affection for my husband, kids and family. I dont want my boiys growing up thinking their mom is distant and cold. I LOVE my family, but need to work harder on letting them know on a daily basis.
so 2012, i think I am ready. I feel motivated, and not as depressed as i did last year. I feel like I am finally heading in the right direction with my life and it is easier to stick to goals when you are happy.