Saturday, January 2, 2010

Make your house smell great for the winter

I was just messing around today. Cleaning my kitchen, cleaning out the spice cabinets etc.  I also cleaned out my microwave.  I take a large pyrex measuring cup and fill it with water.  I slice up half an orange and place the slices in the pyrex.  I put the entire thing in the microwave and zap it for 10 minutes.  I then let it sit for another 10 minutes to steam.  When you take it out, the dirt, gunk, food etc has loosened up from the steam and orange oils. Wipe out and voila, a clean microwave.  Well I was left with this pyrex container of leftover water logged slices and water. I set it aside, knowing I could find something to do with it.

I came across a bag of Mulling Spices from Cider Mate. These are the special spices you add to apple juice or cider to make a nice warm spiced apple drink or wassail. It had to be 2 years old, never opened.  I purchased it at the local health food store in bulk, thinking I would use it. (yet another thing I did not get around to).

I have been in a cleaning mood recently, and although I cant deny I love the smell of bleach and pinesol, I didnt want something in my house that would make it smell like chemicals. Bleach and pine-sol are great, but sometimes you just want a warm, spicy, holiday smelling home. Kind of like a live christmas tree instead of the fakers.

So I pulled out a little saucepan and poured my orange water into the pan and sliced the rest of my orange into the pan with the water.  I added a fistful of these mulling spices and set it to simmer. I then pulled out my stash of dried herbs and added a Tablespoon of dried Chamomile..  I stirred the entire thing and let it go on my stove.
My house is now a heavenly fall harvest and spicy wonderland.  Super easy and delicious.

The spices in my Cider Mate were: Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, Star Anise, and dried orange and lemon peels.


Try it. Your whole house will smell wonderful and spicy and homey and comfy.

No comments:

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...