Monday, April 23, 2012

The Vacation Nazi strikes again...

Next year (2013) my husbands family is having their big family reunion. We will be in the Moab, UT area, which is abundant in scenery, canyons, desert and some of the most breathtaking rock formations in the world.
Hubby and I decided it would be the perfect opportunity to see all there is to see in this magnificent part of the country, so we decided to plan out a basic itinerary.(when I say we , I really mean ME. And a basic itinerary is not my style. I will make this the biggest, baddest, kick a** trip...just like I always do).
The reunion itself is only 4 days long. However we will be flying out a week early and taking a little road trip before arriving to the festivities.(Little. Snort)

We will be flying out to Grand Junction, CO. There we will rent a car and let the adventure of a lifetime begin!!

Mesa Verde will be our first stop. I think this is a great one to start the vacation with. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Mesa Verde. Ever since I was a kid, it has been a dream. You better believe I will be taking pictures like crazy and just going nuts.




Next stop: Four Corners National Monument.  Yes I will do the obligatory one limb in every state photo opportunity.  Silly, I know, but how many times in your life can you say you were in 4 states at ONE TIME??

Heading down through New Mexico, and into Arizona our next stop will be The Petrified Forest. My dad told me he went there 60 years ago and he STILL remembers it. I remember in 4th grade a girl in my class went to AZ and brought back a piece of petrified wood she got in the gift shop. Or so she says. Who knows, she probably stole it...

 Through Petrified and on towards Flagstaff, making stops at Walnut Canyon National monument. There are the remaining cliff dwellings of a pre-colombian cultural group called the Sinagua. They dwelled here over 1000 years ago! It is a small area to visit, a small hiking trail, will probably only take an hour or so to visit.
And then onto Oak creek Canyon  near Sedona. I LOVE SEDONA. So happy.
We will then head up to THE GRAND CANYON!!! My kids are SUPER EXCITED for this. Finny thinks he wants to take a little donkey ride down into the canyon.  I told him he was out of his mind. But lots of photo opportunities, hiking and taking in the breathtaking beauty of Gods creations...and erosion.
I havent been to the Grand Canyon since I was a teenager(It was 1990 last visit). I remember we went horseback riding and my horse was a gorgeous fawn colored horse named Buck.

We will then head up and over into Utah, making stops in Zion National Park. This is another park I havent been to since I was a teenager. We hiked down to the pools and it was SO HOT. But it was stunningly beautiful.

Then Over to Bryce Canyon(boing boing boing). I am REALLY excited about this one. I dont remember much about Bryce, we blew through it last time I visited, as we were short on time and getting off schedule.

We will then head over towards the Moab area and through Capitol reef(a "wrinkle" in the earths crust). I am trying to work in a night time star gazing program at one of the parks because there is almost no light pollution and it is a perfect place to really take in the wonders of the heavens.

then we will be Heading over towards  Dead Horse Point . They call it dead horse after a bunch of wild horses that died there.  Kind of morbid, but look at how beautiful! Dont think about the sad horses and focus on the majesty of the canyons.

Then it is on to the Reunion, where there will be time in Canyonlands
and of course Arches

I am trying to figure out a way to work in Lake Powell, possibly on the free for all day of the reunion. i want to find the place where Dr Who filmed their episode The Impossible Astronaut....but I'd be happy just to go , even if I cant find the Dr Who link.

Now I only have to wait 15 months!! That should be enough time for me to completely plan and save for everything. i am SO EXCITED!! I am sure the itinerary may change over time. especially if I can find a way to work in Canyon de Chelly in AZ.
But the Vacation nazi will be vigilant in making sure this is a family vacation that the boys NEVER forget.

I just need to make sure I get all my I's dotted and T's crossed to  pull this off successfully.

3 comments:

Holli said...

FUN!!!! My brother and SIL did this trip with my nephew a couple of years back. They didn't stop at all of your fun spots though but some of them. What a cool trip!

cheesevictim said...

We basically did this trip last year. Didn't make any reservations either. Seemed to work out all nights except for the night we ended up sleeping in our car. Yeah, planning might be a better option. Best trip ever! You'll love it.

Unknown said...

I'm jealous! I've been through those states, but never stopped at the places you mentioned. Thanks for the info! Come check out my blog at irishgwen.com :)

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...