Monday, April 13, 2009

That seemed to work...

When our kids turn 8 and get baptised, they are allowed to pick one place they would like to go and we go there as a family for a vacation.  When Peter turned 8, he chose Disney World. (At first it was Texas. I asked Whats in Texas?" and he said "I dont know, I just think it would be cool. Maybe we could see Sandy the Squirrel".  Once I told him that Sandy was not real and just a cartoon Character, the idea of Texas was no longer that appealing)

Well, after Peters trip Finn got to work. Yes, he still had 3 years before he really needed to be concerned, but he is always thinking ahead.
He, too, announced that Walt disney World would suit him just fine as his birthday/baptism trip.
I did the research, put in dates and kids ages and found out it would cost $______ amount of dollars. SO we set up our coin and tip jar. All of our change, coins and part of my tips go into this jar to help pay for some of the souveniers etc. I even made up this cool picture on Photoshop of Cinderellas Castle with fireworks etc to paste on the outside . Actually it is a giant animal cracker bin from Sams that I washed out and pounded a coin slot through the lid. It works great. I am betting we can get a couple of hundred dollars in coin stuffed into it.  Right now we have about 22$.

WELL thank you Nickelodeon channel. My kids are no longer allowed to watch you.
They showed a commercial for a Nickelodeon Cruise. Said commercial shows promises of sliming and meeting the characters and fun and Games etc. It sails to the bahamas, St Thomas and Puerto Rico. For 1 week. Finn saw this and got it into his head that the Nick cruise was his trip. He REALLY wanted it.  so being the good mom I am, I looked into it.
For a family of four, the bottom basement, cheapest rooms in steerage START at $6000!! SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!! (Oh yeah and this does NOT include airfare to Florida...or spending money...or tips) 
 And it goes all the way up to 17,000 for a royal suite...which by the way are all sold out. Wow, the economy must be suffering. Those poor people only able pay 17,000 for a family vacation. Whatever will they do?? They cant hold their heads with pride anymore.They will be humiliated at the club. (did you hear that Ken and Buffy could only pay $17,000 for THEIR vacation? Uhhhh, they had to go to the Bahamas...")

I told Finn that a Nick cruise is out of the question. It cost WAY too much money. I dont mind going to DIsney World,( which includes our dining plan, hotel, park passes etc. We can drive to WDW in 7 hours. In fact Disney world is 60% cheaper than a Nick Cruise.) In fact we could go to Disney TWICE for the amount of money we would pay for the Nick cruise.
But Finn unmoved. He persisted. begged. pleaded. bugged. annoyed. irritated.
He REALLY wanted to go on this cruise. It is all  heard. 



So I told him the boat sank.

5 comments:

Holli said...

OMG that was HILARIOUS!!!! Love it :)

Kristina said...

Wait, didn't you ALREADY go on the nick cruise? Don't you have some picture somewhere as proof? ;)
You are awesome.

Double D said...

Holy crow, $17000 for a family of 4 to go on a Nick cruise? What a way to exploit the kids, that's insane! What did he say when you told him the boat sank?

Schofields said...

Ha Ha! Love it!
Did you know that the Ice Cream truck plays music to let you know it's all out of ice cream? It's TRUE! My mom said so!!!
So there!

Yep, the boat sunk... mothers everywhere fired missiles at it!
:)

Elizabeth said...

Ah, marketing is alive and well in children's television. My kids are forever asking for all the cool stuff: carpet skate thingies, etc. Great you put your foot, er...boat down. Are you living in Stallings? I have a good friend from carolina there--Tess Frost? And did I tell you my blog(s). Aren't we all so self-absorbed nowadays:) Our families' is jerebeth.blogspot and my mommy essay one is my-backdoor.blogspot Hope you are enjoying spring!

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...