Monday, June 22, 2009

gardening monday 6/22

Gardening Monday again. We have had lots of rain, lots of sun, great compost. So we have a pretty lush and thriving garden. However, I feel like I am watching a watched pot boil sometimes.
I have a ton of tomatoes on the vine...DOING NOTHING. I am just itching to make salsa and bruschetta, if these darn things would GET MOVING!!!

But I do have a few glimmers of hope on my cherry tomatoes and on my yellow cherry tomatoes. However I would need a heck of a lot of these to get my salsa on!

In a week or so I will have a nice crop of green beans to eat. They are getting longer, but still kind of skinny. My mom made some homemade green beans last night. She blanched them for a few minutes in boiling water, then sauteed them in a pan with olive oil, butter, salt and pepper. They were DELICIOUS! Everyone was trying to get the last helping, fighting over them in fact.My father in law said he would be happy for me to make those every night.

Of course the invasion has begun. I need to go to Home depot and get the Japanese Beetle traps/bags and get these nasties out of here.

lots of work to do still, but all in all I am feeling that this season will be quite fruitful...if i could just figure out a way to ripen those tomatoes!

4 comments:

Holli said...

Great looking garden and I'm seriously hungry for green beans now!

Judi FitzPatrick said...

The tomatoes and beans both look fantastic. Lucky you that the toms. are almost ready - I live in the northeast - many more weeks to go before even the hope of one.
Peace, Judi

Double D said...

Wow, and here I was happy just to get flowers on my tomato plants!!! And I HATE those Japanese beetles, be careful what you use to get rid of them! Found this and thought you could check it out: http://dkmommyspot.com/how-to-make-your-own-japanese-beetle-trap/

A natural way to get rid of the beasties. Good luck with the crop!

Rosebud Collection said...

Everything looks wonderful. We are having nothing but rain. Don't know what the garden looks like, if there is still anything left and not washed away. Lousy weather..

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...