Friday, August 7, 2009

Southern Speak

The other day my 9 year old exclaimed in jubilation , "ahhh whee-yin"
(I win)

I kind of stopped, shook my head and whipped around.
me: What did you say?
Peter: momma ah said Ah Whee-yin.
me: when did you start speaking with a southern accent?
Peter: all the other people around here do it, why cant I??(Speaking more normally in a sort of Nebraska/Utah/Kansas non affected way)

Thats a very good question. Why cant he? He was born in the south. He has spent the last 9 years in the south. He likes fried chicken, Jesus, Elvis and NASCAR. He is a southern Boy through and through. So what is my issue with boys and the southern accent?? Well there is a fine line when it comes to males and Southern Speak.
You either sound like Rhett Butler, all swoony and genteel and handsome...
or you are Larry the Cable Guy.

So as long as his little accent is more "Frankly My Dear I dont Give a Damn" and less "Git r Done" I may be OK with my son expanding his vocal repertoire with a more southern proclivity.
We'll see.



1 comment:

Holli said...

This truly made me laugh! My 8 yr old nephew who has never been anywhere in the south has always had a southern accent for some phrases and words and we could never figure it out. He finally told us he has been trying to talk like John Wayne! Are you kidding me?! LOL My brother and he would watch those westerns over the years and there you have it...a southern accent coming from a little California kid. Too funny!

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...