Monday, August 5, 2013

Day 4(part II): Upper Antelope Canyon

SO GLAD I DID THIS TRIP!!!  When We awoke I decided that we were going to go to Antelope Canyon. It was really one thing we had wanted to do all along, but I never got around to scheduling it.
However that morning I did some research and found the group to take us.  We used Navajo Tours, right on the Navajo lands when you get there.  Antelope Canyon is called a Slot Canyon.

You drive out of page about 6 miles and hit the Navajo lands. You have to pay 6$ a person to get onto the lands for a day use permit. You then have to pay the tour fee. Adults were 25$ and kids were $10.  So for 94$ we got the tour, which was still way cheaper than hiring out a tour company in town.
They pile you in a big old 4x4 that has been renovated with benches and a sunroof type shade and take you on the bumpiest journey of your life.

The ride into the canyon is very uneventful as far as scenery is concerned. It looks very nondescript and kind of boring.  You would never know that you were about to embark on a magical adventure, and see one of the most photographed canyons in the world.
this is the view of the 3 mile drive into the canyon. Pretty boring, right?

We get to the Slit opening of the canyon and at this point I think to myself, what have I done?  It was crowded, it looked like nothing I thought I would enjoy.



However, once we stepped inside I was completely taken aback by the sheer beauty and majesty of this amazing place.

 LOOKING PROMISING...

 HEART IS POUNDING

 WOWIE

 ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?

 UGH. IM DEAD
They call this Monument Valley At Sunrise

 SERIOUSLY, I HAVE DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN


I AM CONVINCED THIS WILL BE MY HEAVEN WHEN I DIE

The Wave





.
What I LOVED about this tour was, although it was crowded, we never felt crowded. All the guides did a good job of staggering entry, and I never felt rushed.  Our guide told stories and legends, and interesting facts about the canyon.  At certain points he took my camera and took pictures for me to get the best shots. The tour lasted a little over an hour, and was WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY.

Here's the kicker...we went on an off peak time, when the light isnt optimal for canyon photographs.  I would say it looks pretty darn optimal to me. I can only imagine how completely breathtaking it would be had we gone on the 11am tour.
Thank you Henry (our Navajo Guide), Thank you Navajo Tours.  We had an unforgettable experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your images! Gorgeous!

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...