Thursday, August 14, 2008

Matthews i love you, BUT....

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE where I live.
Within walking distance of historical downtown, the old hardware store that has been around for almost 100 years, the library, the quaint shops, community center and elementrary school.
Every Labor Day Weekend we have the giant festival and carnival that draws almost 75,000 visitors. So we retain a small town feel, while being somewhat large.
We also retain the train tracks and trains that zip through the downtown at all hours of the day and night.

So mr train conductor, I have a question for you.
Why is it that during normal hours of the morning, afternoon or evening when you come through town we get a quick toot toot of your horn and then you are on your merry way. BUT when it is anytime between the hours of 1am and 6am you feel the need to lay a heavy hand on your horn as you go through downtown? This morning at 245 am I counted 38 honks. And they were not the nice little pip pip honks. No, many of them were the long drawn out hoooonk hoooooooooooooonnnnnnnkkkkkkkk. They start about a mile before it hits the center of town, they honl through the entire town and at least a mile outside of town.

Seriously?? 38 honks at 245 in the morning? Are you mad that you have to work so late and so you figure Misery loves company??

I have lived here for 4 years now, and so I am somewhat used to it and practically dont hear them anymore.
But I think last night was a record.

5 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

I know they have to honk when they come through town...some sort of law.

But 38 honks? C'mon. That is seriously rude. I'd contact the rail company.

Rosebud Collection said...

I think this guy was having fun..he really got carried away with tooting his own horn..

Jackie said...

Hi Sarah... How are you???

Hey Harriet said...

What!?! Seriously? I'd be doing as Diva said & contact the rail people. 38 honks is beyond funny at that time of the day! Geeeez!

Holli said...

I will tell you this little bit of knowledge I learned by going to high school in a teeny tiny train town in Northern CA called Dunsmuir where everyone's dad or brother or uncle works for Santa Fe.....they lay on the horn like that when they are either going thru crossings with no arms OR when there is something on the tracks be it a car or person or animal even. So I always assume that if its late at night its cause some crazy deer or possum or something has frozen in the trainlight and won't move. Or the engineer is bored. Either one. ;)

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...