Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Neighbor Dorothy's Heavenly Caramel Cake

Tonight is Book Club. So in honor of LAST months book, Cant Wait To Get To Heaven by Fannie Flagg, I am making "Neighbor Dorothy's Heavenly Caramel Cake".

I will stretch my culinary acumen to their furthest limits. This recipe requires sifting, more sifting, making pastes out of flour and milk, beating, blending and mixing.
I hope these ladies realize what an effort I am making for them!! Just kidding, I have been wanting to try out this recipe for myself. ( But I will make it this morning and if it doesnt work out I will bring the old standby- peanut butterscotch rice krispie treats. I ALWAYS have a back up plan)
But for anyone interested, here is the recipe, courtesy of Fannie Flagg and Can't Wait To Get To Heaven.

1 3/4 cup cake flour, sift before measuring.
resift with 1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup soft butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp double acting baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

beat for 3 minutes and bake in a greased pan for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

FROSTING:

2 TBSP cake flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 tsp salt

over a low heat combine cake flour and milk. Cook to a thick paste and cool and set aside.
Cream sugars and vanilla with butter and shortening. Beat until Light and Fluffy.
Blend in salt. Mix in cooled paste. Beat until fluffy. SHould look like whipped cream.
Frost cooled cake and voila you have a perfectly(hopefully) delicious southern cake!

has anyone tried this recipe? Is it as good as it sounds?
Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Seriously, I can't wait.

The back up sounds good too!!

Kristina said...

good LUCK! I skip over the recipes that include "sift" or "soften" or "do an intense amount of work for something that won't turn out anyway because YOU made it." I wish I was there to try it, you make an amazing cake!

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...