Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Pretty Ballerina

A few months ago my mom gave me a list of songs to download and make into a mixed CD for her. Every now and then she will just march over with a ream of paper FULL of old obscure songs, forgotten songs or songs no one even remembers. Sometimes she doesnt know the name of the song or who sings it. She only knows snatches of words. So I will have something written like "show me a man...good woman??"

WHAAA?????

WELL, Perusing the list I see tham many of them I own personally or know someone who does.
Crazy by Gnarls Barkley. Ok no problem.
Bernadette by The Four Tops. Again , pretty easy.
I heard it through the Grapevine by Marvin Gaye.
So far, so good.

THEN she started throwing in stuff like Kenny Ball's Midnight in Moscow,
The Village STompers Washington Square or My very favorite SHRIMP BOATS by Jo Stafford.
Ever heard of that one?? It took me FOUR MONTHS to find that song for her. You're welcome Mother. "The shrimp boats is a comin' there's dancin tonight!"


Then further down the list past Brooks Benton, Glenn Campbell, Gordon Lightfoot and Dionne Warwick was a song I had COMPLETELY forgotten about. This song by Left Banke.
I remember my mom listening to it when I was a kid. It is one of those songs that gets stuck in my head for a week at a time. Kind of like "It's a small World" or "Bubbly" by Colbie Caillat.
But in the past few weeks it has since become one of my favorite songs, again.


Hope you enjoy!

5 comments:

Heather said...

You are a very, very nice daughter.

I would have taught my mother how to use google. :)

picciolo said...

I hope you have got the tape sorted now! It nice to rehear songs that have memories
: )

Rosebud Collection said...

Shrimp Boats, I know very well..I have to say, you did a great job for your mom..

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I've never heard "Pretty Ballerina" and now - I have. Thank you for that!

T.Allen said...

Haha, I have some vast and varied taste in music as well, and guess who gets the debit card and the deadly task of searching for everything from Yanni to Ya Kid K; my 16 year old son! Musically Maniacal Moms unite! *raises fist*

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...