Sunday, November 9, 2008

Aced the curriculum

I am feeling very proud of myself.(pat pat pat)

For the past two weeks I have been studying and memorizing and analyzing etc. I know the difference between a macule and a chloasma. I know what a Bulla is. I know what a keratoma is. I know about 42 other various skin lesions and disorders, such as Vitiligo(and I am pretty sure Michael Jackson does NOT have it).

I know the various layers of the epidermis and the dermis and what each one does, is responsible for and contains. I put up with the younger girls laughing every time the Stratum Corneum was referred to as "The Horny Layer".

I learned how to wax facial hair. I learned how to tweeze properly. I learned how to give a totally amazing facial and how to apply make-up beautifully.

I took 2 written tests, gave 3 facials, waxed eyebrows and applied make-up. I went on a field trip to South park Mall(the Hoity Toit) and went to Dillards and Belks to the make-up counter where they were having make-up extravaganza days and giving free make overs and demonstrations and lessons. We then got to tour the Carmen!Carmen! salon and day spa and meet Carmen himself. He is a brilliant hair stylist(a bit of a diva) and I really enjoyed listening to him and he gave us lots of great advice and words of wisdom.

So with my attendance at 100%, my written tests at 100% and my facials at 98 and 99% and my make up at 98% and my waxing at 98%, I averaged a 99% for the skin and make up curriculum.

A disclaimer for the 98%...My teacher does not believe in giving 100% on practicals. She says there is always room for improvement, no matter how long you have been in the industry. So if you didnt sweep up and out enough on one pass through, or did the petrissage for 10 seconds too long, she would dock a point etc. so my 98 and 99% were for little things like my wubbie under my materials was crooked (wubbies are the paper towel type things they use in salons), or my toner cotton ball wasnt thrown away the second it came off her face.

So to keep up with my skills, I will also be offering facials and waxing out of my home to practice, the cost would be to cover the materials. So waxing eyebrows would be $3 and a classic european facial with massage and mask would be $10. (massage of the face and neck, not the body) If anyone is interested just let me know.

tomorrow we start on long hair design!

9 comments:

Holli said...

That is totally cool Sarah....congratulations!!! I'm glad you are doing well in your new career adventure. And damn I wish I lived by you so you could wax my brows and give me a facial!!!!

High Desert Diva said...

Crap...I would soooooo be taking you up on the facial offer. Why do you live all the way on the other side of the US?

Tricia said...

K, I so want the waxing. Let me know when you're available!

picciolo said...

wow wish I lived closer! Well done on all your scores
: )

Michelle said...

Great job Sarah! I'd be first in line for a facial, and eyebrow design! Dang, you live so far away....
BTW, I'd be a great person to practice on long hair design, my hair is down my back, and virgin virgin virgin...!
Double dang!!! :)

Double D said...

I may need to take a Christmas vacation out your way, seeing how as the cruise is ka-put for the moment. And congrats on being the super studette of your class! Are they still calling you "computer"?

Tracie Frost said...

Oh, so interested!!! And so proud of you! Congratulations!

Jolin said...

I'll take one of each please. A facial sounds fabulous - I'll have to find a day and time good for you. Way to go on all of your test scores!

Shanda McKeehan said...

Sarah - you're doing great! Nice work. I can't believe how much you are learning now - I think my brain is permanently fried from having kids. I'll be up for an eyebrow wax tomorrow night at bead group! :)

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...