Monday, January 12, 2009

couch potato hits the track

So one of my goals this year is to run a half marathon in December... I started training about a week ago.
I am starting slowly with the couch to 5k running program. Then a 10 k, then 10 miles then 13 miles.

Basically you run for a minute, walk for 90 seconds. Gradually increasing as the weeks go by the time you run and decreasing the time you walk. Pretty easy right?


Remember that episode of the Cosby Show where Cliff had a physical and they put him on the treadmill and he was giving fake High 5's and walking backwards and doing the gangsta walk?? Then it fast forwarded to faster and faster and he was hanging on for dear life and his lip was jiggling and his jowles were sucking in and out? Yeah that was me.

The first few minutes I though pfft, this is a piece of cake. I can do this. To quote Luwanda(in living color) "I got you...I got you"
fast forward to 10 minutes..I thought I was going to DIE. Literally fall to the ground and have an infarction right then and there.








But as the days progress and I run more and more I am finding my stamina has increased. I can run farther in my alloted time than the day before.

so yay me.

Today I ran a minute walked 90 seconds. I got farther and I wasnt killing myself. I think by next week I will be able to run for 90 seconds and walk 90 seconds. Gradually I will run longer and longer, eventually not needing a break. I can feel it. I am putting the vibes out into the universe.

So Half marathon...I got you...I got you.



2 comments:

Heather said...

I remember that Cosby show . . . how funny. Good mental image. :)

Good luck on the running thing! I consider myself decently in shape, but I'd rather have skewers shoved through my eyes than run a half marathon. So I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines! :)

Double D said...

Haha...Luwanda...that cracks me up!!! I'm supposed to be starting training, but it keeps snowing, and we don't have room for a treadmill in the house...I do have a gazelle that I can use, but that's more strength training, but hey, I'd be a start. Keep up the good work, hon! If you do a 1/2 marathon, I'll come out to do it with you!

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...