Thursday, April 17, 2008

Random Random Random

#1- I redecorated my blog.(well the banner)
I was reading List Of The day (again) and he had a craptastic 80's video of the day.

Carl Carlton's "She's A Bad Mama Jama".
I had that song stuck in my head ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT. So Thank you for THAT List Of The Day.

#2- Peter and I have started James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. We just read the part where he finds the tunnel in the peach and meets all the insects in the pit. I had forgotten what a GREAt book that is. Our next chapter book will be the Bunnicula Series by Deborah and James Howe. Finn has no interest. He is only 4 1/2 and is more interested in reading Dr Seuss and the classics like Brown Bear, Bark George and Monster At The End of the Book.

#3- I got the most hilarious Email from Lindsey. I will just give you a condensed version. there were a few pictures of this boy holding the sign by the side of the road. This is the final picture that really sums it up:

The sign reads "HI. I AM 13 YEARS OLD. i STEAL. I WANT TO GO TO PRISON TO BE WITH DADDY."

I really wish more parents would do this stuff.it reminds me of a story that I grew up hearing.
One of my older brothers is 8 years older than me. When he was about 5 years old he and his buddy stole som Bazooka Joe bubble Gum from a convenience store. My mother found out and taught him a lesson that he has never forgotten. She "called the police" and then put Patrick in the car, drove him to the police station and told him he was going to jail. He was so scared and crying and begging and pleading and promised to never do it again. He didnt want to go to jail. So she took him home and made him return the gum with an apology to the convenience store owner. He was so humiliated. He never did anything like that again. It always stuck with him what would happen if he started a life of crime. i am totally going to be like that with my kids.Call me cruel, but i would rather have kids who know exactly what happens to bad boys and girls.


and Finally...Random Story from my childhood.
When i was in 2nd grade(Easthaven Elementary School in Columbus ohio) I wanted to wear glasses so badly. Now that I am grown I know what I nuisance they are and why I was so eager to get started is beyond me. Anyway I wanted glasses, and I wanted them bad. My parents always told me "You dont want to wear glasses. You dont need them". So I was stuck in my normal existence. My Teacher Mrs Guzzino told me that I didnt need glasses, the school nurse told me i didnt need glasses. Well one day I saw my mom had thrown out a pair of her sunglasses. they were missing one of the arms. They were beautiful. Tan rims, big frames, tinted blue and brown like all good 1970's-1980's sunglasses are. I had a plan. They looked a little something like this:

I made myself a glasses holder out of a piece of Paper and 2,000 staples and slid them in. I smuggled them to class the next day. At SSR (sustained Silent reading) i pulled out my "glasses" put them on and started to read. All of the sudden i kind of felt silly. They were missing an arm, they were tinted sunglasses, not real glasses. so I kind of put my head in my hands and shielded my face. I had already put them on, I was commited to following through with my ruse. I could hear people kind of starting to snicker and giggle. I looked up and everyone was looking at me laughing. I was so embarassed. So I tried to say something like "Dont make fun of me for wearing glasses!" One of the kids in the class laughed and said "They are sun glasses dummy!". I wanted to die I was so embarassed and looking back i am still embarassed thinking about it.
Look at those Bad boys. No wonder it didnt work. Those frames were just way to big for my head size.(never mind the fact they were missing and arm and TINTED)


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great childhood story. I have seen the photo of the kid before and Oh my that is so my mom. She would have definitely me do something like that. LOL

High Desert Diva said...

Like the blog makeover!

Your stories are funny...

Hey Harriet said...

Your new blog header is very cool!

I love the sunglasses story...hehe. Yup the silly things we do as kids. & sometimes continue to do (in my case anyways, as I obviously don't learn from my mistakes ;)

jewelstreet said...

lol. That is one hilarious story. If we'd known each other in 2nd grade, you could have had my glasses. My daughter was the same way though until she actually needed glasses.

Unknown said...

I am very much liking the new banner :)

Great little bits of randomness too. Man, that glasses story though - I was the exact opposite. I had to start wearing glasses in 3rd grade and my teacher had to MAKE me put them on. They looked about the same as those sunglasses without the tint. Hot pink and all. Yikes!

Unknown said...

I am very much liking the new banner :)

Great little bits of randomness too. Man, that glasses story though - I was the exact opposite. I had to start wearing glasses in 3rd grade and my teacher had to MAKE me put them on. They looked about the same as those sunglasses without the tint. Hot pink and all. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Roald Dahl is GREAT; I'm glad you're both enjoying the book. Great sunglasses tale too. I used to work with a woman who wore glasses but they only had glass in them - no lenses - as she had perfect eyesight and didn't need glasses at all. She thought they made her look more studious and intelligent.

~Stella said...

That's an awesome story! I wanted glasses when I was a kid, too!

Rosebud Collection said...

Blog looks great..The young boy and the sign really made me laugh..I think he is so lucky to have a mom like that..You were too, after reading the story about your brother.
Enjoyed your blog, as usual.

Anonymous said...

I snorted, remembering the picture. Poor scissor teeth.

picciolo said...

I love your blog, your posts always make me smile!
: )

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

Too funny, you were a brave girl with the sunglasses! Also James and the Giant Peach...cool book! How fun that you get to read that with your kids! Do you think my 18 and 20 year old sons will sit thru it with me!

tatsuko said...

Love the new look, Mamajama :)

And I love those sunglasses - weren't they just crazy-humungous in the 70's and 80's?!

melissakate said...

Oh my gosh! Those last two had me laughing out loud! I can't believe your mom drove to the police station! That is classic!
And I was pleased to have glasses in third grade b/c I was able to get frames just like John Lennon's (he didn't need glasses either, so you're in good company) and I thought that mad me super cool.
I was kind of a nerd. WAS...

Jennifer Juniper said...

Oh, yeah??? Well, I was DYING for braces or a retainer in school and I made one out of a paper clip and used to wear it all the time in class. Who's the nerd now?

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...