Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Great Starbucks! I'm composting!!

If you have a garden, or compost on a regular basis, then you know that Coffee Grounds are a GREAT addition. They are full of nitrogen and encourage earthworms. Here in NC we have dense, clay soil and coffee grounds are a great way to help break them up.

But I am not a coffee drinker. I can get used Coffee grounds from friends, but it isnt enough.

Recently I discovered Starbucks Grounds For Your Garden Program.

You can go into any Starbucks Coffee and pick up a FREE bag of used coffee grounds. A huge 5LB whole bean coffee bag stuffed full of the used grounds, at least 10 pounds worth. They dump their grounds into coffee bags, and once they are filled up they tape them up, smack a label on them and set them out in designated bins for anyone to take.

The Starbucks near my house fills MANY of these bags on a daily basis, BUT they are hard to get and FAST out the door. The two I happened to snag yesterday were still warm! They add a new bag or two every few hours(it is one of the busiest Starbucks I have ever seen)


Things you can do with Coffee Grounds:(from THIS website)


  • Sprinkle used grounds around plants before rain or watering, for a slow-release nitrogen.

  • Add to compost piles to increase nitrogen balance. Coffee filters and tea bags break down rapidly during composting

  • Dilute with water for a gentle, fast-acting liquid fertilizer. Use about a half-pound can of wet grounds in a five-gallon bucket of water; let sit outdoors to achieve ambient temperature.

  • Mix into soil for houseplants or new vegetable beds.

  • Encircle the base of the plant with a coffee and eggshell barrier to repel pests.

  • If you are into vermi-posting, feed a little bit to your worms

I do compost on a daily basis, I use it in my gardens, my flower beds, anywhere It need it.It was orginally thought that coffee grounds are acidic, BUT if they are used or spent grounds, the brewing process takes out a lot of the acidity and leaves them a fairly neutral pH.

Certain plants like Azaleas, rhododendron, camellias, evergreens etc REALLY love coffee grounds. So try a few scoops around the base of your shrubs and azaleas and flower beds.

In composting, according to the Starbucks Website "Coffee grounds act as a green material with a carbon-nitrogen (C-N) ratio of 20-1. They make an excellent addition to your compost. Combined with browns such as leaves and straw, coffee grounds generate heat and will speed up the composting process."


So Thank you Starbucks for recycling your coffee grounds for us composters and gardeners! It is saving the landfills and trash dumps a TON of space and helping our soil be the best it can be.

7 comments:

Double D said...

Haha...I've had many a composter writing me back after I sent this in an email.

Thanks for being on top of things babydoll!!!

Double D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Good gracious! I did not know about this!! I haven't been in a starbucks in a long while (blasphemy I know!) I will need to get my tush over there and see if I can snag a bag though, that is too cool for school!

High Desert Diva said...

Well this is uber cool...

picciolo said...

thats really interesting Sarah, we do compost and put it on our allotment, and my huband drinks quite a lot of coffee that goes in, its good to know it is helping!
: )

jewelstreet said...

Oh, wow! I'm so glad you posted about this. I might have to visit the Starbucks near us to see if they do it. Plus, we drink coffee so I can some that way too.

You are always give the best tips. You rock!

Hey Harriet said...

Yeah this is such a fab project. A few of the Starbucks stores over here (Australia) started doing this a while back also. The local Starbucks closest to the Community Centre where I work are kind enough to put a few bags aside each week for our community garden. Starbucks rocks! (& in relation to your post above I'm currently reading 'Starbucked' & so far so good!)

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...