Monday, June 9, 2008

Gardening Monday 6-9-2008

Gardening Monday again! And some pretty big things happened over the past week.
First I walked out to find THIS! I was so excited. My first red tomato!!

Awwww, too bad. Something got to it before I did. In its defense, it WAS grown right near the ground. Probably the neighbors cat or something.

Remember the baby bush beans from last monday, those little scrawny podlings??


Well check out these bad boys! Just about ready to be eaten!

Then I discover that my one grape tomato plant has shot up in size. (It looks scrawny from the way I prune them, but I already have several clusters on that plant)



And here are some of my NEWEST babies:

New Roma's and new grape clusters. And my Jalapeno plant has invited a few of his jalapeno friends to hang out!



Here are pictures of my Redneck Compost Bin, as promised:



We use an extra large dog kennel. It has the slots for aeration and the gate to cover the top.
It can roll, so we can easily "turn" the compost and there are enough openings for moisture to get in where needed.
We picked this up in our neighbors backyard when they moved out and left it behind.
You really can use just about anything to compost. As long as it gets the proper mix of greens, browns, scraps, moisture and air, you can make it anywhere.

I am lucky that I do have a larger area to compost in. It really can make a huge difference in your gardening results.

Happy Gardening!

5 comments:

DJ said...

I'm so going to steal your idea for the compost bin! I have two of those old crates in my garage! Your garden is looking great!

High Desert Diva said...

Your garden is coming along nicely!

For what it's worth, I think your music widget is messing up your blog. The background never finished loading so I read your whole post with the flowers behind the text...it never went to the solid color.

Double D said...

You so make me want to extend my garden!!! Hopefully next year I can build another 4x8 foot raised bed...and found out the worms are actually getting into my other raised bed!!! Whoo-hoo for them coming through the landscaping fabic!

I'll be sending pics sometime this week. You need to take a full view pic, I wanna see the space you're working with darlin!

Hey Harriet said...

I love the way your garden is progressing. & what a clever way of recycling an old dog transporter. Love it!

Hey & with regards to what Diva said, I found your bloggy doing weird things just now also. The b'ground colour didn't appear until I'd finished reading your post & the comment pop-up box wouldn't pop-up until I'd clicked on it a few times. Bloggy may just be in a funny little mood right now. They can be moody at times...

picciolo said...

everything is coming on really well! I took some pictures at our allotment at the weekend and will post them in the next few days. We haven't got any tomatoes yet though!
: )

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...