Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Strictly the best movie ever


IFC channel was showing my Favorite Movie yesterday. So even though I have seen it a jillion times, can quote it word for word and practically dance along, I STILL sat and watched it. I spent 2 hours of my life, watching a movie on TV that I already own on DVD sitting on the shelf right next to the very same television on which I watched.
Strictly Ballroom is one of those films that every time I watch it, I remember how good it is. It is one of those films that I can watch again and again and again and never tire of it.

Plot synopsis from imbd..."Scott Hastings is a champion caliber ballroom dancer, but much to the chagrin of the Australian ballroom dance community, Scott believes in dancing "his own steps". Fran is a beginning dancer and a bit of an ugly duckly who has the audacity to ask to be Scott's partner after his unorthodox style causes his regular partner to dance out of his life. Together, these two misfits try to win the Australian Pan Pacific Championships and show the Ballroom Confederation that they are wrong when they say, "there are no new steps!"

It was directed by Baz Luhrmann, who also did Romeo+Juliet(with Claire and Leo) and Moulin Rouge.

I first saw this movie in 1997. Charles borrowed it from the library for me to watch while he was working second shift when we were first married.I sat and watched it. I immediately rewound it and watched it again. I had 3 days with that movie and watched it 4 more times. Over the years I would randomly borrow it from the library, rent it from Blockbuster or watch it when it was on Television. Finally for Christmas a few years ago, Charles bought me the BazLuhrmann Red Curtain Trilogy
so I had a copy of my very own. On a related side note, I am surprised that my DVD copy has not disintigrated with so much use!

I love this movie for so many reasons. Ugly Duckling/swan element, the power of love, stereotypes and cliches of the ballroom world, the music, and the dad saying "Son, can I bend your ear for a tick?" In the end when Scott finds out the truth about his parents his dad cries out "We lived our lives in fear!"

In case you havent seen it, here are the first 9 minutes of the movie to get you hooked :



So sit back, pop some kettle corn and enjoy yourself some Strictly Ballroom!

5 comments:

Hey Harriet said...

I'm glad you're so passionate about this little Aussie flick. I didn't think anyone outside of Australia had even heard of it! When it was released over here it created a huge ballroom trend. Everyone was ballroom dancing! The trend was short lived though...

picciolo said...

I wish I could dance like that!
: )

Jennifer Juniper said...

That is the special kind of cheesy movie I love to sit down and watch on a snowy Sunday morning while I'm still in bed :) I'll have to rent it!

Rosebud Collection said...

Sound good..will have to watch it.
In all honesty, I have never heard of it before..

Anonymous said...

I love this movie. Thanks for reminding me about it.. now I'm probably going to have to go watch it again. :)

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...