Monday, May 26, 2008

Gardening Monday

It is Memorial Weekend, so we have been out and about as a family doing fun things etc, so I will post some of those later this week.
In the Meantime, here are some pictures from my garden. It is coming along nicely.


These are some tomatoes from my Roma plants. I love these little guys. Grow my pretties, for you shall soon be salsa!! I dont have a set Salsa recipe. I just throw in whatever looks good.

I have 5 varieies of tomatoes growing, so I use a mixture. Then I chop an onion (sweet usually, but have used yellow and purple before), add peppers (jalapeno or the garden salsa pepper), cilantro, and lots of garlic. I add salt and pepper to taste and I pour half of it into the food processor to get "creamy" and leave the other half chunky. I add them together for a perfect blend. I made about 6 quarts os Salsa last year before the drought took my tomatoes. So this year I plan on eating salsa ALL SUMMER LONG!


I am currently growing jalapenos, Anaheim peppers and Poblano peppers. The poblanos are VERY mild and used for stuffing and making rellenos. I already have a penny sized peppers growing my one of my poblano plants! The Anaheim peppers have a great flavor and are a fairly mild pepper, spicier than a Poblano but milder than a jalapeno. Great for kids salsa! I dont have any pictures of my peppers right now though. I need to get back out there with my camera.

This is my Bean Garden.


In the center with the wierd looking hillbilly trellises I made, are Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans. I made those trellises out of tomato cages, stakes and garden twine. I LOVE Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans. They are the perfect green bean for fresh, cooked,frozen or canned beans. I have grown them for the past 3 seasons. Season One I had more beans than I knew what to do with. I was harvesting and eating beans daily. Season two I harvested a little, then the drought came and everything burned up. I have about 8 of these plants, which will give me a bountiful harvest.

On the outer row along each edge I planted Blue Lake Bush Beans. These are beans that need no staking or trellising. These Stringless hearty beans are so sweet and have such a great flavor. I am looking forward to canning this season. I have never grown these before, so it will be a new experience for me. Everything in my bean plot has been started from seed, so these are really my babies. I have 10 of the bush beans planted.

I also have zucchini and yellow summer squash. They are both blossoming and looking great as well. I even have little teeny weenie babies on each plant! This is actually one of my zucchini plants but both zucchini and the yellow squash look exactly like this, so you get the idea. They all have blossoms and have fruits starting. Zucchini and squash are so easy to grow. I have grown zucchini for the past 3 years. They are pretty much a love em and leave em plant. Dont have to do much work and they reward you with squash. We stir fry zucchini and summer squash. I cut into coins and sautee them in a little bit of olive oil and garlic. Then when they start to get soft I add a bit of terriyaki sauce. I top them with grated parmesan cheese. If you dont have terriyaki sauce you can use soy sauce with a bit of sugar mixed in. Squash is so versatile. Bread, soups, stews, stirfry. You cant go wrong with squash.

I will update with more pictures as my gardening season progresses. Hope you enjoyed my garden pictures and I will update throughout the summer. I hope you have enjoyed this holiday edition of Sarah's Garden!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Just enjoyed looking at your garden.We will just be putting our plants in this week..One year we had a frost June 7th and it killed all our tomato/cukes..Very heartbreaking I have to say..Anyway, a beautiful garden..

Hey Harriet said...

Your garden is coming along very nicely. I love the little recipe ideas you included. I'm going to try your squash suggestions. I like squash because it looks pretty but I can never get it to taste really great. That's now about to change! Yay!

Unknown said...

I now have tomato envy, I covet your tomatoes -- didn't know that was possible.

High Desert Diva said...

The garden looks fantastic!

Love the new header, too

The Mom Jen said...

Great garden, and I LOVE your new look, great colors!

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

I want those tomatoes! and the rest of your garder! Kudos to you...I planted some stuff this year..only time will tell!

Double D said...

ARG, I'm so jealous! We had 40 again last night, so I'm still holding off on planting. Maybe I'll just plant, then put a tarp over my precious babies so maybe I can actually get something started in the garden!!!

Keep on with the pics, I will bask in them until I can get mine started! And you can? How did I not know this? Send me an email on what you do for that, I want to get started but have no idea what to do. I usually use freezer bags...

Shanda McKeehan said...

I love all these fun ideas with recipes for your garden. Is it too late for me to put some beans in my garden? My swiss chard, lettuce and sweet peas will probably be wrapping up soon so I need something else to add to my cilantro, peppers, zuchini and eggplant. You have inspired me to plant tomatoes, I usually don't care much for them, but if I can eat yummy SALSA all year, that will be awesome!

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...