Monday, May 12, 2008

Things charles is allowed to cook

My husband is forbidden in the kitchen. Unless it is something like Macaroni and cheese, ramen, sandwiches or Nachos, his cooking is a no-no. (Although that one night he made a romantic pot roast for our 2 year anniversary...i got pregnant that night...anyhoo, thats NOT why he isnt allowed in the kitchen).

He doesnt know how to follow a recipe. Somehow when he cooks his brain shuts down, spices and seasonings get forgotten, Tsp turns into TBSP and...well you get the point.

One night he decided to make hamburgers. I was working all day and came home to the foreman grill and a bowl of ground beef. He declared "I'm making dinner!".

Trustingly, I head off to shower and come back down to hamburgers and probably some sort of canned vegetable. I dont remember. All I do remember is taking a bite of the hamburger and thinking "hmmmm this tastes really odd". Turns out he channeled the Colonel and added 11 secret herbs and spices...including CINNAMON. (we had previously lived in cincinnati where their chili has cinnamon in it. He thought it would be a good idea). Needless to say 2 bites was all I could stomach. All night I heard "I'm sorry, I thought it would be a good idea..."
Another night i came home and he was making his own version of hot wings. He was boiling(or scorching, same difference) his version of wing sauce, filling the entire house with eye watering pepper sauce and vinegar. The wings were pathetic. i think we ended up ordering a pizza.


BUT Charles is a savant in the kitchen when it comes to desserts and sweets. He can whip up a Texas Fudge cake that will leave you in the throes of food orgasm passion. His desserts are legendary. It as if he gets a dessert recipe and all the planets align, the heavens shine down, his cooking brain clicks on and BOOM dessert nirvhana.


Yesterday afternoon after church he let me take a nap. He fed the boys, kept them quiet etc. THEN last night he let me watch my chick flicks (27 Dresses and The Holiday) and made me a rock em sock em batch of my favorite cookies NO BAKES. Honestly, BEST MOTHERS DAY PRESENT YET!!


But let me share with you the recipe:


2 cups sugar

1 stick butter or margarine, melted

1/3 cup cocoa

1/2 cup milk


in saucepan combine and sugar and cocoa, add milk and melted butter. Mix thoroughly and Bring to a boil and let boil for ONE MINUTE. Do not overboil.

Remove from heat and add the following:

1/2 cup peanut butter

3 cup quick oats

1 tsp vanilla.


stir well until PB is melted and oats are mixed in.


drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper or foil to cool. then enjoy
so to all the mothers or to be mothers, Hope you had a great mothers day.

9 comments:

LazyTcrochet said...

Sweets from your sweety! Those are my favorite, but I hardly ever make no bakes. No one else eats them in my family, so I end up devouring the entire batch myself!

High Desert Diva said...

Oh...I so know what you mean about husbands who cannot cook!

Lucky you that Charles can do desserts. Sounds like you had a good Mother's Day.

No Bake cookies were a childhood staple with my sisters and I...won't tell you how we refer to them...

(love the av in the forums by the way...very "cheeky")

Marie Louise said...

Love your writing! Very funny. Have you thought about doing it professionally? Quite honestly, it is pretty rare when I sit and actually read all of someone's blog - and then start reading the one below it.
I can definitely relate to your husband and his cooking skills. My new husband was a bachelor for 8 years before I married him. He thinks he can cook. Who am I to tell him otherwise - I just steer clear of his "recipes".

Hey Harriet said...

Your hubby sounds like quite a character. & a real sweetie! I love the sound of that Texas Fudge Cake. Perhaps you'll share his recipe of that sometime? It seems you had a lovely Mother's day :)

The Mom Jen said...

Yum, I love no-bakes! I'll be drooling in the corner until you post the Texas Fudge Cake!

Rosebud Collection said...

I think it is sweet when husbands try and cook..Once they get the hang of it I think they are better than us..
Key word here is "once"..It sounds like you had a great day..Happy Mother's Day..just one day late..

Anonymous said...

Barry only does meat or high-cholesterol breakfast food. I wish he did chocolate.
Cinnamon...Oh, Charles. I so empathize. Remember the "there can't be THAT much difference between baking soda and baking powder" biscuit fiasco?

Jennifer Juniper said...

I ate about 100 pound of no-bake cookies when I was a kid (only I called them "Beetle cookies") and I've lost the recipe! Thanks for including it for us and this is yet another thing we have in common!

Double D said...

Hon, you know you're going to need to rent out Charles now that you said that he makes desserts...and you HAVE to send me that Texas Fudge cake!!! OMG, sounds like a foodgasm!!!

Matt's outta town this weekend, so sounds like I'm gonna make myself some of those NO BAKES. That's awesome, I've never heard of those!
He'll never know I made sweets for the house, right now it's kinda banned...lol.

Haha..cinnamon? I have honestly never heard of cinnamon and beef going together in anyway shape or form...I'll have to do some research, sounds interesting.

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...