Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mexican Food


11 years ago at one of my Bridal Showers, I received this little book from my brother Tom and his wife kathleen. They are huge mexican food fanatics and were trying to convert me to the dark side. now dont get me wrong, I LOVE Mexican food. (oh who am i kidding, taco Bell is NOT really mexican food) I Like tex-mex and up until a few years ago authentic mexican food had never passed my lips. However since being married to a man who grew up in El Paso and who has a sister in law from Mexico and married into a family of Mexican food fanatics I have joined them in my love for all things spicy, salsa-y and full of south of the border goodness.

This book is "The Book Of Mexican Foods" by Christine Barrett.
This cookbook is the best little cookbook. It is like "Mexican Cooking for dummies".

They have basic recipes for making your own corn and flour tortillas, basic beans, refried beans and basic tomato sauce. They have recipes for soups, salads, appetizers, seafood, salsas, ceviche and desserts. Of course they have MY fave, chimichangas.

Tonight for dinner i am making CORN SOUP.


2 TBSP butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and shopped
3 small tomatoes, peeled and chopped(blanch the tomatoes...or use canned)
5 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
8 to 10 oz whole kernel corn(fresh, canned or frozen)
salt
2/3 cup half n half
2 TBSP chopped cilantro, to garnish

In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is soft, but not brown. Add tomatoes. Simmer 10 minutes. Add stock, bay leaf and corn. Season with salt to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
discard Bay leaf. Pour soup, in batches into a blender or food processor fitted with metal blade and process until pureed.
Return soup to saucepan. Stir in half n half and heat to just belw the boiling point; do not boil.
sprinkle with chopped cilantro.




DISCLAMIER: your soup may or may not look like this. This is a picture I found from one of my favorite food blogs, too many chefs. It is pretty close to what your soup should look like.

Also, add as much onion and garlic as you like. Since my husband is not a big onion fan, I cut down on the onion and add extra garlic. You can also add jalapeno or poblano to the soup for some extra kick.

Play around and come up with your own version. It really is delicious. Have it with a side of cornbread or rice.

Bon appetit!(or whatever they say in mexico before a meal!)

7 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Love Mexican food...this soup looks yummy.

Have you ever tried the blackened corn (frozen) from Trader Joes? Delish!

Rosebud Collection said...

I have to try this..It looks really tasty. Things too spicy I can't handle, but this sounds great.

Ana said...

I love mexican food, the hotter the better ;)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, corn. I'll eat anything made out of corn. That soup looks De-LISH!

The Mom Jen said...

Delicioso!

Hey Harriet said...

I LOVE Mexican food so I'll be giving this recipe a try. & I doubt that my efforts will look anything like that pretty photo, but as long as it tastes good I'll be happy!

Scott Bulger Photography said...

I love Mexican food. This looks like a great recipe.

I'm not much of a cook myself, but this recipe for Sopa de Lima is fantastic.

http://www.soupsong.com/rchickn6.html

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...