Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Greatest Place in the World

I have a favorite place.
When I am feeling down and blue, I think of this place. I have been coming here since I was a child. Our first trip was in 1979.
Every summer for 10 days to 2 weeks we would come here.
It wasnt anywhere fancy or tropical, it wasnt a high falutin' resort area.
It was Nags Head North Carolina on the Outer Banks of NC.

I have had the opportunity to travel to many many places both in the US and Abroad, and when someone asks me "Where is your favorite place you have ever traveled to?", my answer is always Nags Head.

Every summer my family would pack into 1 car complete with our summer gear, fishing tackle and poles, rafts, boogie boards etc. When my brothers were old enough to drive we would take 2 cars and caravan. They would be in my moms old Volkswagon Rabbit and I would be stuck in the other car with my folks. After all 15, 16 and 17 year old boys didnt want to be bothered with their much younger sister.
Every summer I would play hard, swim in the ocean, build sandcastles, torture jellyfish, get burned to a crisp, eat crabs and clams and all sorts of seafood, and buy a pursefull of crappy souveniers from the Souvenir shop across the road.
Every year I looked forward to MY place. And every year it never failed to deliver.
My husband and I went there for our honeymoon almost 11 years ago. We stayed in my parents beachhouse and spent days and nights at the beach, touring the lighthouses, fishing, walking in the sand, looking for shells, crabs, starfish and more. We went to the Sand Dune and watched the sunsets, ate fudge and played mini golf. We toured Elizabethan Gardens and the Aquarium. It was a magical time and the perfect place for our newlywed bliss.
Every year we go back for a few days, sometimes a week. We never get tired of it. Nags Head is OUR place, our special family time. The kids love it. We take friends and family, we invite people to share in our love of the Outer Banks.
The Beaches never seem crowded, the weather always seems nice and the sky is always that Carolina Blue you hear about.
I love Nags Head and the outer Banks. I cant image the world without it. In the almost 30 years I have been going to Nags Head, i STILL get the excitement butterflies as we pack up and head out. Oh Nags Head, I love you.




3 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

ok...I wanna go!

Young People in Love said...

this place looks like an absolute DREAM! those little waterfront cottages are to die for!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Emmylou, how I miss your duets album! And Pizza Hut! And boys smoking at us!

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...