Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Photoshop, redux

As many of you know from a previous post I recenly became the proud new parent of Photoshop. Since then I have had fun playing and learning new things, rabidly reading my Photoshop CS3 bible, online tutorials of fun effects and etsy Storque articles. i THINK I can do a pretty basic banner that doesnt suck, actually. For being a beginner, I feel pretty confident that these are halfway decent.

However, in comparison to other banner makers on etsy I feel VERY out of my league to be quite honest. They are Rembrandt, I am some guy painting in his attic.
But practice makes perfect. I have been able to learn new skills with every chapter in my books, with every new tutorial. check these out:

This is the Aquarel Effect. It looks like a painting on canvas that has the foggy edges. I thought it was pretty cool.
I found that in an online tutorial. It was fairly simple to do, although to be quite honest I dont know what I would do with it in the real world

Kind of impractical I guess. But hey, a cool new skill.



This is the title to my blog. I did that using a pink gerbera daisy clip art and a watercolor effect using verious layers and filters.




This is an Old Timey type photo, complete with self made striping and noise and filters etc.
I think I could have a lot of fun with that, maybe re-doing some of my pictures from Paris in it. Make it look old retro vintag-y. (is that a word?)






So I have really enjoyed my photoshop the past few weeks. I never realized just how much you could do with it.
you can download a free trial HERE. It is for 30 days. If you like it, you can purchase it for a tiny fraction of the price at Amazon.com. (NEVER pay full price kids. NEVER)
There are all sorts of online tutorials , just google free photoshop tutorials.
I have found the Photoshop CS3 Bible to be helpful as well as Photoshop for photographers.(Thank you for all the recommends friends!!)
This morning I am going to "Pop Art" a picture of my son, kind of like this:

(Obviously thats not MY picture. My attempts, I am quite positive, will look like Sesame Street on Crack.)
Viva la Photoshop!

2 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Sarah...these all look great! Very impressed

Sam @ The Ellison Family Expansion Plan said...

Hey! You're doing really well for having just started with photoshop! I keep all my things from when I first started out deeply hidden on my harddrive. If they weren't so hidden, they'd probably be deleted right now. They're pretty terrible. haha

But your banners are great! Good job!

Day trip from Boise- Hells Canyon and Dam , and Owyhee Reservoir

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest rover gorge, encompasses a vastly remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain,...